Location Based Services
Smart phones have a built-in feature called geo-locators that can pin point your exact location.
This data is often published online through social networking sites, or used by location-based services such as maps, public transport apps, retail services and so on. It can also be embedded in images you take with your smart phone camera.
Sometimes, you might want to think twice before you check in and tell the world where you are.
Know the basics
- Geo-locators can be switched off – go into your phone settings and switch off location services on your handset.
- Checking in from your smart phone tells people where you are and what you’re doing.
- Checking in also lets people know where you aren’t.
- Be aware of how the information might be used by online friends that you don’t know in the real world
- Turn off the geo-locator unless you absolutely need to use it.
- Make sure that your location is only visible to friends you know in the real world.
- Double check your privacy settings so that if you do share location information it’s really only going to the people you want it to.
- Check that the service doesn’t also show your details to those near-by who you might not know.
- If you have problems while using a service, report it to the service provider
- If you feel unsafe while you’re at a particular location contact the police.
- If in doubt, don’t check in.
If you want to talk about a problem, you can find details of who to call on our Cyber help page.
Safer Internet Day
Safer Internet Day is a day to celebrate how children and adults can learn from each other when they meet online in social media networks and systems...Read more
It's your life & you're in Control
What you do online affects your whole world, it’s your life and you’re in control, Find out about how you can protect yourself and stay safe. Read more
Knews cant update. Please, check user database permisions. (You must allow ALTER TABLE). (ver. 1.0.5) Table 'uae1215601361509.wp_knewsautomated' doesn't exist sql: ALTER TABLE wp_knewsautomated ADD COLUMN submit_time varchar(5) NOT NULL DEFAULT '00:00'